A new educational program for 5-9 school grades is being discussed at EdEra online portal from Feb. 13. All visitors have the opportunity to offer their own list of changes to the program. As of now, 600 people took part participated in the discussion and left 4 858 messages containing proposals on the renewal of the program and comments to these proposals. Personal visions of the new middle school program can be submitted up to Feb. 24.
Analyzing the submitted information, 5 major tendencies of proposals and controversial issues of educational documents can be identified.
1. Quality is more important than quantity. All school subjects are criticized because of a large number of tasks that are impossible to fulfill for the time allotted for their study. Also, the school program includes acquiring of some skills that students can get only in specialized educational institutions.
2. Up-to-date topics for today’s children. According to this tendency, the present educational program doesn’t deal with contemporary realities and doesn’t meet the real needs of children. In particular, the study of foreign languages doesn’t include topics on the use of computers and other gadgets. However, the ICT program is aimed at studying of those things that today’s children can do from a preschool period.
3. Intersubject connections. Lots of information on various subjects is related, but often it is taught in different grades. This leads to a situation where children are taught topics in physics requiring mathematical knowledge of the high school. The lack of a logical connection between related topics can be also observed in other subjects.
4. Less theory – more practice. According to the opinion of the debaters, the study of sciences has to be focused on the obtaining of practical skills. However, it is offered to reduce the study of a historical component in natural sciences.
5. Consideration of age peculiarities of children. Many comments indicate that some programs don’t meet the interests of children and don’t consider age peculiarities. For example, in the 8th grade students cannot fully appreciate the depth of the works of ancient literature as they are too complicated. As a result, this topic is of little interest among children.
The next stage of the school program renewal will last from Feb. 25 to 7 Maг. Special working groups involving moderators will review all received proposals and draft a document for discussion. The second session of the online discussion will start on Mar. 15 and will last for 8 days – until Mar. 22.
Source: Ministry of Education and Science